Kids eyes need protection too.
Parents generally understand that their children's skin is prone to sunburn and they take precautions to protect it with liberal doses of sunblock. Yet most parents may not understand the need to also protect their children's eyes from the sun's harmful UV rays and glare.
The simple fact is, children are more at risk of experiencing the eye-damaging effects of UV exposure than adults … for a number of reasons. For example,
- Did you know that the average child receives three times the annual UV exposure as an adult?
- The lens of the eye of a child under age 10 allows more than 6 times the amount of ultraviolet radiation to penetrate than an adult's eye?
- Protecting the skin during the first 18 years is likely to reduce the risk of cancer by more than 50%. Imagine what protection can do for young eyes!
It's never too early to start caring for children's eyes.
These facts are great examples of why taking care of children's eyes is so important. Understanding the best ways to do that - and protecting them early - can preserve their quality and health of sight for now and the future.
- Transitions® lenses are the most convenient way to provide automatic, everyday protection for children who wear prescription eyeglasses. Transitions lenses block 100% of UV radiation and reduce discomforting glare, which also serves to minimize eye strain and fatigue for young eyes.
- Children require a safe, shatter-resistant lens material, which makes them excellent candidates for Transitions lenses. Transitions lenses are available in sturdy, lightweight, shatter-and impact-resistant materials in the industry's widest selection of lens designs and brand names.
And what's cooler than a pair of eyeglasses that "magically" change from clear to dark in the sun?